The rain came in Biblical proportions for our Summer Fair but, against all the odds, the gross takings for the day were €24,719 – just €2,000 down on last year. Congratulations to the exceptionally hard-working committee, led by Dominic Galvin, who worked for months on this. Particular credit is also due to everybody who cheerfully worked on outdoor stalls, despite the rain seeping in, under and over the canvas.
Thanks to all parishoners who supported this annual, communal fund-raising effort in any way, big or small. The huge team effort generates more riches than can be counted in euros and cents.
This week’s times for delivery of donated goods for the Summer Fair to the Parish Centre are as follows: Wednesday, May 24th, Thursday, May 25th and Friday, May 26th, 7pm-9pm each evening. Here’s a reminder of what some of the stalls are looking for:
- New Stall: Handbags/ Scarves/ Gloves.Nola 087 688 9845 or Di 087 127 0342.
- Plant Stall: All kinds of plants – if you have the time to label them too it would be great. Sarah and Paddy, Lesley and Deborah.
- Collectors Corner: Glassware, china, paintings or any curios you might have hiding in your attic or under the stairs! Roxanna 087 668 8289 or Pauline 087 237 3587
- Worn Only Once Clothes Stall: women’s, men’s and children’s clothes in good condition.
- Rector’s Bottle Stall: Anything in a bottle. Spirits, wine, beer, soft drinks, bubble bath, etc Gary or Pamela 2801616
- White Elephant Stall & Furniture Stall: Unwanted gifts / prizes (e.g. engraved glass / ornaments), tooling, musical equipment, sports equipment, household paraphernalia, accoutrements, etc. .
- All unwanted furniture (but strictly no sofas or bed mattresses). Collections can be arranged: John Lambert 087 255 7452 or Stuart Robertson 087 666 2724.
- Food Street: Cake Stall, Deli Stall and Teas/Coffees would be very grateful for home-baked goods.
- Book Stall: All kinds of reads needed – to be laid out in church as usual.
The Sunday Club is hosting a soup and roll lunch in the Parish Centre after the 10.30am service this Sunday, May 14th, and parishoners are encouraged to attend if they can. All proceeds will go towards Focus Ireland, a charity which children in the Sunday Club and their parents have been supporting all year.
A relaxing, social get-together at which no parishoner has to work on the night is the idea behind the St Paul’s Spring Dinner this Friday, May 5th, at 7.30 pm in the Royal Irish Yacht Cub, Dun Laoghaire. Some tickets are still available, until noon this Wednesday, at €25 per person (drinks not included). Dress code: smart casual. Contact John White 087 259 4729 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.